HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 the disappearing pubs of England

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gandalph
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member


Posts : 1786
Join date : 2016-08-23

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:09 pm

davo wrote:
I would imagine Gandalph [welcome back by the way] that many smokers love combining their smoking habit with a drinking habit. I once worked in the treatment side of this sorry state and did come across some research [long lost unfortunately] that suggested a synergetic relationship between smoking and drinking alcohol!

families with children don't do the same thing, and so whilst occasionally enjoying a visit and drink at a pub I doubt would do it as regularly as some smokers I know [like every day!]

In OZ the challenge for pubs has been to provide a range of other attractions to bring in not so much the families but the young people. I remember visiting a local pub in the late 80's in OZ which always smelt of disinfectant and just seemed to cater for a few smokers and a dart team. Once smoking was banned new ownership took over, smartened it up, provided much better food and entertainment and were full to the gunnels!

Up here in the Scottish Borders everyone (except me) are Rugby fans. They used to go to the pub and enjoy a pint and a smoke and watch the Rugby on the big screens. All that has gone now davo, they get some tinnies in and stay at home with their big screens where they can have a drink and a smoke at the same time. I think that is what is killing off the pubs around here. One particular pub has changed hands about four times in as many years. Go in and you will be lucky to find more than a half dozen people in at any one time. 

Thank you for the welcome back. Very kind of you.
Back to top Go down
andsome
Ambassador
Ambassador
avatar

Posts : 4461
Join date : 2014-09-24
Age : 81
Location : Burntwood in Staffordshie, ENGLAND

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:53 pm

One of the main reasons for closures is the breweries greed for short term gain. They are putting up rents to tenants as soon as the contract ends,the rent rises are extortionate. The landlady at the pub where I used to play bowls had a rent increase from just over £30000 per annum to £56000. She asked how on earth she was to find this amount, and the brewery suggested she increased the price of food. Lichfield has far too many eating places as it is,and she was only able to attract people with low priced meals. Needles to say she gave her notice. The pub and land was then sold to a day nursery,The Humpty Dumpty day nursery,and we were evicted from the green. This practice is widespread

___________________________________________________
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Back to top Go down
Gandalph
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
avatar

Posts : 1786
Join date : 2016-08-23
Age : 70
Location : Duns. Scottish Borders

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:59 pm

So you could say "She had a great fall".

___________________________________________________
Nearly as good looking as andsome. 

Save a tree, eat a Beaver.

Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe".

Machine Specs:  iMac 27 with 5K Retina Display | Intel Core i7 with boost up to 4.2 GHz | 32 GB 1867 DDR3 SDRAM | 3 TB Fusion Drive | AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB Video Memory |macOS Sierra 10.12.6| Apple iPad 4 16 MB iOS 10.3.3 | 16 GB Apple iPhone 4S iOS 9.3.5 |Apple 4th Generation TV with 64 GBytes.

Laptop: Novatech 15.4" | AMD Athlon 64 1.6 Ghz | 250 Gb Hard drive | 4 Gb DDR2 Ram | Windows 10 Pro 
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 7361
Join date : 2016-10-16
Age : 80
Location : Solihull

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Gandalph wrote:
So you could say "She had a great fall".

drum drum drum drum drum

___________________________________________________
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
avatar

Posts : 1838
Join date : 2016-10-19
Location : OZ

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:22 am

Gandalph wrote:
davo wrote:
I would imagine Gandalph [welcome back by the way] that many smokers love combining their smoking habit with a drinking habit. I once worked in the treatment side of this sorry state and did come across some research [long lost unfortunately] that suggested a synergetic relationship between smoking and drinking alcohol!

families with children don't do the same thing, and so whilst occasionally enjoying a visit and drink at a pub I doubt would do it as regularly as some smokers I know [like every day!]

In OZ the challenge for pubs has been to provide a range of other attractions to bring in not so much the families but the young people. I remember visiting a local pub in the late 80's in OZ which always smelt of disinfectant and just seemed to cater for a few smokers and a dart team. Once smoking was banned new ownership took over, smartened it up, provided much better food and entertainment and were full to the gunnels!

Up here in the Scottish Borders everyone (except me) are Rugby fans. They used to go to the pub and enjoy a pint and a smoke and watch the Rugby on the big screens. All that has gone now davo, they get some tinnies in and stay at home with their big screens where they can have a drink and a smoke at the same time. I think that is what is killing off the pubs around here. One particular pub has changed hands about four times in as many years. Go in and you will be lucky to find more than a half dozen people in at any one time. 

Thank you for the welcome back. Very kind of you.



over here I always supported the option as was considered in UK of a dedicated room for smokers with something in the ceiling to suck out the smoke. However I think the smoke used to seep through the walls into the rest of the pub! the smokers were then excluded to an outside gazebo area but you may as well sit in ya own back garden. I personally never thought that smokers should be excluded but catered for by making an effort. However we have a fierce anti-smoking lobby out here and they relentless pursued all smokers. so much so that you can only now take so many smoke breaks whilst at work and must smoke outside at least 5 yards away from the building - its big brother gone mad. I myself smoke cigars and a pipe [not at the same time] but would never smoke indoors or inflict it outdoors on any guests!
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
avatar

Posts : 1838
Join date : 2016-10-19
Location : OZ

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:26 am

andsome wrote:
One of the main reasons for closures is the breweries greed for short term gain. They are putting up rents to tenants as soon as the contract ends,the rent rises are extortionate. The landlady at the pub where I used to play bowls had a rent increase from just over £30000 per annum to £56000. She asked how on earth she was to find this amount, and the brewery suggested she increased the price of food. Lichfield has far too many eating places as it is,and she was only able to attract people with low priced meals. Needles to say she gave her notice. The pub and land was then sold to a day nursery,The Humpty Dumpty day nursery,and we were evicted from the green. This practice is widespread



I agree; landlords have a lot to answer for in terms of harming the economy like this. over here we have small businesses closing everyday because of rent hikes and no one seems able to put a stop to it
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 7361
Join date : 2016-10-16
Age : 80
Location : Solihull

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:05 am

Having a no-smoking area in a pub or restaurant is the equivalent of having a no peeing area in a swimming pool.

___________________________________________________
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
ourjimmy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
avatar

Posts : 772
Join date : 2015-03-13

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:48 am

Gandalph wrote:
So you could say "She had a great fall".
Yes according to the Kings men murgs dance

Well we have had it for ten years now--in my area shops are closing down and being re-opened as cheap ale bars.

Welcome back Gandalph.

___________________________________________________

you never catch a weasel asleep
Back to top Go down
Gandalph
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
avatar

Posts : 1786
Join date : 2016-08-23
Age : 70
Location : Duns. Scottish Borders

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:54 am

ourjimmy wrote:
Gandalph wrote:
So you could say "She had a great fall".
Yes according to the Kings men murgs dance

Well we have had it for ten years now--in my area shops are closing down and being re-opened as cheap ale bars.

Welcome back Gandalph.

Thank you for the Welcome Jimmy. Much appreciated.

Just heard last night that the Local Night Club in Berwick-uponTweed is closing due to lack of Custom. It has been running for the last twenty Years that I know of. So another one bites the dust.

___________________________________________________
Nearly as good looking as andsome. 

Save a tree, eat a Beaver.

Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe".

Machine Specs:  iMac 27 with 5K Retina Display | Intel Core i7 with boost up to 4.2 GHz | 32 GB 1867 DDR3 SDRAM | 3 TB Fusion Drive | AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB Video Memory |macOS Sierra 10.12.6| Apple iPad 4 16 MB iOS 10.3.3 | 16 GB Apple iPhone 4S iOS 9.3.5 |Apple 4th Generation TV with 64 GBytes.

Laptop: Novatech 15.4" | AMD Athlon 64 1.6 Ghz | 250 Gb Hard drive | 4 Gb DDR2 Ram | Windows 10 Pro 
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
avatar

Posts : 1838
Join date : 2016-10-19
Location : OZ

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Gandalph wrote:
ourjimmy wrote:
Gandalph wrote:
So you could say "She had a great fall".
Yes according to the Kings men murgs dance

Well we have had it for ten years now--in my area shops are closing down and being re-opened as cheap ale bars.

Welcome back Gandalph.

Thank you for the Welcome Jimmy. Much appreciated.

Just heard last night that the Local Night Club in Berwick-uponTweed is closing due to lack of Custom. It has been running for the last twenty Years that I know of. So another one bites the dust.



just had a orrible thought = perhaps all the closures of pubs and social clubs is in preparation for a Muslim take over?? whistle
Back to top Go down
sags
Senior Member
Senior Member
avatar

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2014-09-24
Location : Pork Chop Hill

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:40 pm

I blame the smoking ban ... cheap supermarket booze and to a smaller degree encouraging kids into what were once the domain and retreat of adults (to escape kids).

The old Working Men's clubs near me closed down years back. They were scary ... if you dared to speak in the middle of a game of bingo.  
I don't know offhand if nightclubs are faring any better.
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
avatar

Posts : 1838
Join date : 2016-10-19
Location : OZ

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:30 pm

sags wrote:
I blame the smoking ban ... cheap supermarket booze and to a smaller degree encouraging kids into what were once the domain and retreat of adults (to escape kids).

The old Working Men's clubs near me closed down years back. They were scary ... if you dared to speak in the middle of a game of bingo.  
I don't know offhand if nightclubs are faring any better.


well if you walked into a working mans club lookin like that sags you'd either been thrown out or............the mind boggles!! yes
Back to top Go down
Gandalph
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
avatar

Posts : 1786
Join date : 2016-08-23
Age : 70
Location : Duns. Scottish Borders

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:55 am

davo, you would be lucky to find a Working Mans Club these day's. Since the Mines closed and killed off a lot of the Communities which in turn killed off the Working Mans Clubs there are non.

___________________________________________________
Nearly as good looking as andsome. 

Save a tree, eat a Beaver.

Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe".

Machine Specs:  iMac 27 with 5K Retina Display | Intel Core i7 with boost up to 4.2 GHz | 32 GB 1867 DDR3 SDRAM | 3 TB Fusion Drive | AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB Video Memory |macOS Sierra 10.12.6| Apple iPad 4 16 MB iOS 10.3.3 | 16 GB Apple iPhone 4S iOS 9.3.5 |Apple 4th Generation TV with 64 GBytes.

Laptop: Novatech 15.4" | AMD Athlon 64 1.6 Ghz | 250 Gb Hard drive | 4 Gb DDR2 Ram | Windows 10 Pro 
Back to top Go down
 
the disappearing pubs of England
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Bank of England warns of problems
» England European Championship................
» Thank God for England Harry and Saint George........
» English Close the Freeport Case, EXPRESSO, 12.11.09
» THE ROYAL WEDDING

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Popular Topics :: Public Bar and Lounge-
Jump to: