the mysteries of death!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: the mysteries of death!   Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:16 am

having just heard that dear Ronnie Corbett bless his cotton socks has died at 85 from motor neurone disease always perplexes me as I and we draw closer to the golden gate!

He had a full life and a fun life but died a miserable way - I think dudley Moore died of a similar disease - terrible. My younger brother died of leukaemia a few years ago and so it goes on. I feel reasonable fit with a slight high BP, failing kidneys and a slight touch of neuropathy [bilateral], but still get around and drive.

I am beginning to hate old age not just for me but for all of us! cheers
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:46 am

The alternative to old age is dead.  I am getting the usual aches and pains associated with it, but as long as I have some quality of life I will happily put up with that.  cool cool cool

Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:22 am

andsome wrote:
The alternative to old age is dead.  I am getting the usual aches and pains associated with it, but as long as I have some quality of life I will happily put up with that.  cool cool cool

sometimes you profundity is overwhelming to the extreme!! hat
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:58 am

davo wrote:
andsome wrote:

sometimes you profundity is overwhelming to the extreme!! hat

I know, I'm brilliant aren't I. 

Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:26 am

I too am feeling my age a bit this morning - I shall resort to having a hair of the dog that bit me - so to speak

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:29 pm

three years or so ago I  had a full time job, felt valued and was getting good money. then I became redundant and haven't worked since. don't know about you lot but I suddenly felt out of it all - like
there was their world [the employed] and my world of unemployment - I had planned to work all my life!
Back to top Go down
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:48 pm

davo wrote:
three years or so ago I  had a full time job, felt valued and was getting good money. then I became redundant and haven't worked since. don't know about you lot but I suddenly felt out of it all - like
there was their world [the employed] and my world of unemployment - I had planned to work all my life!
I was made redundant from my job as an Aircraft Engineer with British Aerospace in 1991...I was devastated !!!
They gave me a great settlement and an early pension...... I was delighted !!
I have never worked since...... 26 years retired and now earning more in pensions than I was when I was working for a living....I am ecstatic  yes murgs dance
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:56 pm

You lucky man - I wish.  I didn't retire until I was 60 and am coming up to being a pensioner for 20 years.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:05 pm

I was forced into retirement when my swine of a boss gave me a nervous breakdown. I have never looked back. I love retirement 

Davo,it depends on how old you are,if you are relatively young,of course you need to build up a pension pot

Back to top Go down
Irene
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:19 pm

I worked as an employee until 2002 and joined the 'Group' Company pension scheme as soon as it became available to me in 1994. My membership cert stated that my benefit would be 18.5% of my final salary. 

I do realise that it was rather late in my working life to join a scheme, but I had taken out a mortgage on my sole-ownership home when I divorced my ex-husband in 1991 and did not have much surplus income to invest.

However, when the owner of the 'Group' sold the parent of the scheme, all of the members received a letter promising identical benefits when the new scheme for the Company for which I worked, replaced the former with a new one. 

To cut a long story short, when I reached retirement, it transpired that the replacement was actually a 'Money Purchase Scheme'.  It finally transpired that the payable amount was 1/3 of the amount which I would have expected from the former one.  I have tried to address the issue, but the scheme is now being handled by an admin company and are ducking and diving to avoid the issue.

Fortunately, I am financially stable so does not cause too much distress. 

P.S.  I did continue to work for the Company until I was 68 on a self-employed basis, which included the period during which it was sold on to an American ownership.

V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:10 pm

yes none of us read the small print of life soemtimes!
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:51 pm

I finished my last winery setup in 2005 which happened to coincide with pension time at 65. I did a bit of contract work for some other wineries (including one in Argentina) for a couple of years but since then between grandchildren and part time at the museum , I don't know how I ever had time to go to work at all!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the mysteries of death!   

Back to top Go down

the mysteries of death!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next