View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gandalph
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: The "I remember series Part I"   Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:02 pm

AlanHo wrote:
I can remember butter being scooped off a big block and dolloped onto greaseproof paper and being patted into a small block before being wrapped.

We didn't have a fridge but we had a pantry with a concrete slab across the end intended to keep stuff cool. My mother had a butter cooler - which was a crock dish with a lid with a rim around it which you part fill with water. The latent heat of evaporation was supposed to keep the butter cool. It didn't - and the butter would invariably go slightly rancid after a few days. I can still remember the taste.

We had one of those concrete slabs as well Alan. Although I think most people would have had them in those days. I remember Dad coming in with a piece of Marble, about three by three foot and putting it on top of the concrete in the bottom of the pantry. It was about an inch thick and saying "Stuff should last a bit longer on that", and it did. It had something to do with the marble staying cool because of it's properties, even in the summer Month's.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: The "I remember series Part I"   Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:01 pm

We could never have afforded marble. My parents couldn't even afford to buy me or my brother marbles - we had to make do with ball bearings nicked from the scrap at a local engineering works.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: The "I remember series Part I"   Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:50 pm

When I came back to NZ in 1967, there were no wineries that I wanted to know- they were all making cheap plonk for local consumption, like extra strength sweet sherry- the quickest and cheapest way of falling down known to man. So I went to work on a sheep and cattle farm near Waipawa, (where I live now in retirement) we had to stock the larder so we went to town to the local 'Stock & Station" store. They sold everything from groceries to tractors. It was still in the era of the shop getting the things on your list and putting them in cardboard boxes. When we had filled about 4 boxes with stuff, I asked the clerk if it was OK to pay by cheque. He looked blankly at me and said "You wanna pay for it? Don't you wanna charge it?" He didn't know us from a bar of soap but he was prepared to help us out to the car with goodies. We found out later that nearly everybody had an account and paid once a month. Some of the 'cockies' (farmers) paid once a year!

davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: The "I remember series Part I"   Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:15 am

I remember Perth 34 yrs ago [no not Scotland - WA] a sleepy little hollow that the eastern states giggled at - all the shops closed at midday on Saturdays for the footie - it turned from a sleepy hollow to a ghost town with wild yelling coming from behind closed curtains!
Back to top Go down
Gandalph
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: The "I remember series Part I"   Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:10 am

AlanHo wrote:
We could never have afforded marble. My parents couldn't even afford to buy me or my brother marbles - we had to make do with ball bearings nicked from the scrap at a local engineering works.

Ah, but dad was a Stone Mason. So him laying his hands on a piece would have been easy.

Save a tree, eat a Beaver.

Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe".

Machine Specs:  iMac 27 with 5K Retina Display | Intel Core i7 with boost up to 4.2 GHz | 32 GB 1867 DDR3 SDRAM | 3 TB Fusion Drive | AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB Video Memory |macOS Sierra 10.12.5| Apple iPad 4 16 MB iOS 10.3.2 | 16 GB Apple iPhone 4S iOS 9.3.5 |Apple 4th Generation TV with 64 GBytes.

Laptop: Novatech 15.4" | AMD Athlon 64 1.6 Ghz | 250 Gb Hard drive | 4 Gb DDR2 Ram | Windows 10 Pro 
Back to top Go down

The "I remember series Part I"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2