HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Barbara Dickson Concert

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AlanHo

PostSubject: Barbara Dickson Concert   Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 pm

We went to see Barbara Dickson's concert last evening, in Birmingham Town Hall. She had a 4 piece backing group which included Troy Donockley. It was the first of a number of concerts she has planned and billed as her final tour.

She has been my favourite female singer since the 1980's and I have been to 3 of her concerts before - one being in Bahrain when she was very pregnant. She retired from the scene for a long while afterwards to bring up her family.

The concert was awesome - although now 70 - her voice is as pure and wide ranging as it ever was and she performed a mixture of her songs from the past and present.

One in particular was intriguing - she sang a Scottish folk song from the Isle of Skye all alone and without any backing whatsoever. It was stunning and clevery ran into a another song which brought in the backing instruments and gradually increased in tempo before all musical hell let loose and the instrumentalists played a Scottish reel with Troy playing the instrument he is famous for - the Uilleann pipes which are celtic bagpipes inflated by the right arm using a pump strapped around the waist. The reel was so fast and musical, it was not easy to see his fingers, they moved so fast. He also played the electric guitar brilliantly during the evening and a strange white instrument he blew into which appeared to have keys set into a lump that protruded from each side of a long tube. It was called an aironique (or something like that)

If Barbara Dickson is to your taste and her tour comes your way - go and see her - you will not be disappointed (other than that it lasts for only 2 hours)

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Barbara Dickson Concert   Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Great singer, I agree Alan.
I particularly liked 'Caravan'
Back to top Go down
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Barbara Dickson Concert   Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Caravan was one of the songs she sang. I can't remember them all - I just got carried away in a sea of musical delight. I get soppier the older I get.

Another of my favourites - and brace yourself for this - is the American Organist Dianne Bish who is now well over 70. Her rendition of Elgar's Nimrod is my favourite - but she plays so much classical stuff on major organs around the World I have a lot to choose from.

Here is one of many  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQuVC1SeJ7Q

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down

Barbara Dickson Concert
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1