Birds from my garden.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 am

I love wild birds and have three seed feeders and a suet ball feeder.  We get a lot of pleasure out of seeing them and helping them to ffnd easily accessed food.  We also have two bird boxes that I made myself.  This is why I will not tolerate cats in the garden and have plastic spikes on the fences.
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:41 am

Irene wrote:
Sounds like a wonderful taste of 'the good life'.   yes

...Although sensible decision to eventually return to human civilisation.  Wink

We had already got used to "the good life" before we came over here from the the West Riding.
A good few years before I retired  we bought a big old farmhouse virtually on the line which separates Yorkshire and Lancashire. It was attached to a barn (or was it that the barn was attached to the house??) It was in need of some very serious TLC and it had already had a part of it "partitioned off" to house "the farmers son and his wife". This bit was tenanted by a little old man and his wife.

Our reason for buying it was to create somewhere where we could house my mother and father in their own space whilst having them safe and sound. They were doing what people do....they were growing older.

The story of how we achieved our goal would take up several pages so I will just say that about three years later we had achieved what I had wanted to achieve and more.

Several years passed and one day it was announced that the company had got a new Managing Director. Being an American Company he was an American., with American ideas and foibles. The Americans had recently decreed that there should be no R &D Mangers over 50 years of age. It just so happened that virtually all our company R & D Managers were over 50, and so we were all given a lump sums, commensurate with the pension that  we would have received at full retirement age, and shown the door.   Wonderful!

By this time mother had died, but father was still sound in body and mind. The old couple had gone to the big flat in the sky and so we reconnected "the cottage" by the simple expedient of un-boarding  the boarded-up doorways upstairs and down.

Father had always been a healthy chap but eventually, after several more years, one morning he suddenly collapsed and that was the end of the line for him.

He was laid to rest and we carried on as before .....until one day, many months, later we suddenly realised that here we were, just two of use,  rattling about in a thirteen roomed house paying the council a vast sum of money for very little, and heating at least six rooms that were very rarely entered.

We decided it was time to find a nice little bungalow in a drier part of the county.
Back to top Go down
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 pm

Sounds absolutely idyllic catgate. 

Glad you have a much more manageable place now though  smile
Back to top Go down
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:16 am

catgate wrote:
We decided it was time to find a nice little bungalow in a drier part of the county.

Yes, wise choice, but you still have all those wonderful memories.  

Birds from my garden.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2