Heres one for the old chaps on here murgs dance murgs dance 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCmcoZktZG4

you never catch a weasel asleep
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Count Basie   Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:55 am

ABSOBLOODYLUTELYBRILLIANT.  I love the big bands.  They knock spots off the guitar strumming screamers.

Last edited by andsome on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Count Basie   Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:06 am

Great Jim  smile
Back to top Go down
ourjimmy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Count Basie   Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:55 am

I went to see him in Southport in the 70s and he signed my programme plus a few band members
a fabulous show well worth the entrance fee. murgs dance

Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Count Basie   Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:45 am

I remember Count Basie from the war years (and after). He was very good, but in my eyes was outshone by the likes of Benny Goodman, Woody Herman, Lionel Hampton et al. I suppose it was because they "leaned" towards "Trad" just a little more than he did.
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Count Basie   Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:57 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6E_D20538

This is a very nice piece of UK jazz and is well worth a listen,
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Count Basie   Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:49 am

Love it, he is coming to the Garrick theatre in Lichfield later this year,we may ell go.

Back to top Go down
ourjimmy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Count Basie   Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:51 pm

Dont mind Chris Barber -have a couple of his cds nice to see they were enjoying them selves. murgs dance murgs dance nice one.

Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Count Basie   Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:38 pm

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }
Before we came to live over here from the dales, we often used to drive into Bradford on Wednesday evening to a pub in Bradford called The Spotted House. There was a Trad. outfit that used to play Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings. They were every bit as good as all the best professionals. The clarinet player was absolutely world class.
Sadly the pub was closed and knocked down  some short time before we moved.

One day whilst waiting in our camper van in a parking place just near to the St.Malo harbour, another one came and parked quite near. To cut a long story short we were able to help the owners with a serious problem. They were a mother and her adult son and daughter and they were going, on the morrow, to sign a contract, at a Malo based solicitor, to buy premises,  farther south, that they wanted to make into a "British Pub.

In their gratitude for our assistance they insisted that a) we must come and have dinner with them and b) they would keep in touch and let us know when they had a "Knocked every thing into shape" so that we could call on them on our visit next year.

We kept in touch for a few years and despite having a "Just call in when you are passing" we failed to manage to time things appropriately to do that. What's more we had sold the Tabbart and now just stayed at local pubs in France (and "Gashofs" in Germany). I sold the Tabbart to a friend, Barry, who had just sold his business and wanted to go touring in France. After a year of touring they bought a nice house, with stabling for his horse, which was back in England.
He came back and took his horse and left the Tabbart in in England.. I am not sure who owns it now. It is back in the same locality so may be it's now his sons.
Fast forwards a few years and we set off on another trip, but this time, since we were only going into France we had time for a quick look at our friends with the “English Pub” and then go forwards to our destination near Vannes. We could then call on the English Pub on the way north and stay over night, ( if they would have us).
We had notified neither of our prospective targets about our plans, because knowing what they were like they would go to all sorts of length if they knew we were coming.
So we landed in St. Malo and headed south. We found the English Pub and learned that it was a great success and we would be expected to call in on our return journey, and stay overnight.
We continued South Westish and located Barry's domicile. We drove past and on to our hired holiday cabin near Vannes, where we had a wonderful time until it was time to set off back to see Barry and Brenda. They were not a mllion miles away from where we had just been, and we were soon there. Naturally they were quite surprised to see us and after a bit of a chat it was suggested that we go for a walk round the little village to see what a nice place it was.
When we arrived back the number of people in the place had increased noticeably. It was suggested that we go back to our room (which they had shown us earlier) and have a wash and then return down to the bar.
We did as we were bid, and were quite amazed at the increase in the number of customer.
It turned out that they were all British, resident in the village, who were regular customers, and lived very close by. It further transpired that they had all come to the “celebration” which was to be held for our “reunion”. In reality it was a meal not to be forgotten and a meeting with some very pleasant people.
After the meal we were introduced to several couples who were from Yorkshire. One particular couple were introduces as being “from Leeds”. Where upon the wife of the pair said “ Well, it's Bradford really.”
I said, “Oh! I was born and brought up in Bradford at No X on YYY Road”
She replied, “OH!!! I was born and brought up Bradford a No B on CCC Road”
The two roads were next but one to each other on a small housing estate built in the later 30's on the higher ground between Bradford and Halifax. After getting over that little matter of living so near to each other for over 16 years and not seeing each other I realised her husband had disappeared. “Oh he will have gone back home for something. we only live two doors away.”
Just then he came back and handed me a CD. It was of his band producing wonderful New Orleans style Jazz. Funnily enough it I did not play it much for fear of wearing it out. However one day about three years later I got it out and tried it, and all that came out was silence!!!
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Count Basie   Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 am

Perhaps it was upside down in the player.  cool cool

Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Count Basie   Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:18 pm

andsome wrote:
I wondered that, and so I sent it to a friend in Australia, to see if it played properly when it was the other way up. sweep
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Count Basie   Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:25 pm

catgate wrote:
andsome wrote:
I wondered that, and so I sent it to a friend in Australia, to see if it played properly when it was the other way up. sweep

And???

Back to top Go down

Count Basie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next