V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Wed May 17, 2017 3:15 pm

You and Mrs. Ho have a great time Alan. Don't forget my stick of rock. yes
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Wed May 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Malcolm - we took your advice and bought a couple of bottles from Lidl. Both are 14.5% so not lacking in that respect

One was 39.99kn (£4.80) and the other 79.99kn (£9.60) - I will leave you to guess which is which. There were cheaper ones but they did not look appealing.

I have tried the more expensive one and it is quite fruity, smooth and with a long finish. It is lovely - not as full bodied as my favourite Italian or Portuguese wines, but very enjoyable nonetheless.  It will be interesting to see how the cheaper one fares.

We have had an easy day today due to catching up on our sleep, We were too late for breakfast so we had a snack at the hotel's beach bar at lunch time. We are here on half board because neither of us normally have lunch.

After the brief trip out to Lidl to buy the staple diets which were, gin, tonics, water and fruit, we spent a couple of hours browsing the extensive hotel grounds, and private beach area which includes a number of very nice small villas dotted into the steep wooded hillside facing the sea. We had no idea how big this place is when we booked it. For a 4 star hotel the place is excellent but is looking slightly tired in a few areas. This is more than compensated by the nice room, excellent friendly service the lack of rowdy kids and the standard of the buffet restaurant and food if last evening's dinner was anything to go by. There is an a la carte restaurant we will give a try later in the week.

Thank you folks for your kind wishes on our anniversary - we would have enjoyed it more if we had travelled the day before and not been so tired.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Wed May 17, 2017 10:12 pm

A lovely dining room - but what a surprise to discover what the table tops are made of - chipboard. A crisp white table cloth hides all.

After dinner we wandered off down the beach promenade to attend a classical guitar performance held in a pretty little chapel. Only big enough for 25 people. On the way there I took a snap of the sky as the sun was setting. A most unusual cloud - drifting along almost on its own. This snap with my phone fails to show the rich reds in the cloud.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Wed May 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Mrs A very attractive Alan. 

They make the tables of chipboard just in case you feel peckish. 

Enjoy  x  smile
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Wed May 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Goldie wrote:
a) Mrs A very attractive Alan. 

b) They make the tables of chipboard just in case you feel peckish. 

Enjoy  x  smile

a) I think so too  - she scrubs up well for a soon to be 75 year old

b) That response is a classic..... drum drum

Back to top Go down
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Wed May 17, 2017 10:43 pm

Wow she is amazing Alan. Much love to you both. Have a great time  smile
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Thu May 18, 2017 5:06 pm

We went for a walk early this morning in the hotel grounds along the path in the woods. The bird song was amazing there. This was to kill time before we went caught the Dubrovnik water taxi today which berths a 10 minute walk from the hotel in Mlini. The return trip costing 12 each.

Dubrovnik is awesome and we will be going back again before we leave. Friends told us to check the Cruise Ship docking to choose the best day when there would be fewer visitors. We went today because there was only once cruise ship due with 1780 passengers. Tomorrow there are three ships due with more than 8000 and it gets packed in the old town. The next time there is only one ship due is next Monday - so that is the day for a repeat trip. 

Between us we took dozens of photos and it is difficult to chose which to show.

Here are a few anyway - some being for the benefit of friends and family back home who will be tuning into this thread.

The sad looking buildings pictured from the boat are an old 5 star hotel complex that were blitzed during the 1991 war. You can see the pock marks of shelling from naval vessels

Back to top Go down
Hetty

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Thu May 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Great photos, Alan!
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Fri May 19, 2017 3:34 am

who's that young chick ya keep takin photos of Alan?
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Fri May 19, 2017 9:49 am

That's no young chicken - that's my wife.

I don't post photos of my mistresses............... drum

Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Fri May 19, 2017 10:40 am

The damaged hotel I posted a picture of.  We were toying with going there to have a nose around when I came up this article which is interesting.

http://www.pausethemoment.com/kupari/

I also found a story via Google that Marriot bought the site last year and are going to rebuild it as a luxury resort. They are in the process of fencing it off - so we will not bother.

Back to top Go down
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Fri May 19, 2017 11:20 am

Lovely pictures Alan  smile
Back to top Go down
meerkat12
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Fri May 19, 2017 9:13 pm

Enjoyed looking at your pictures Alan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content