Share | 

Car Cameras

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Car Cameras   Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:55 am

davo wrote:
there was a sailor once called Tristan Jones who wrote some interesting 'boys only adventure' sailing books and always claimed he was Welsh. He invented a welsh life for himself giving directions and naming his birth village in Wales that didn't exist. I had fun once trying to track it down but all the locals just shrugged and said join the queue. Eventually someone biographed him and we all discovered that he was illegitimate; born to a woman who may have been called Jones in Liverpool and immediately given away to a orphanage.

he sailed some nice boats and may have benefited from car cameras on his boats! murgs dance

Poor man.  Perhaps he wanted heritage to feel he belonged.
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Car Cameras   Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:13 am

Goldie wrote:
davo wrote:
there was a sailor once called Tristan Jones who wrote some interesting 'boys only adventure' sailing books and always claimed he was Welsh. He invented a welsh life for himself giving directions and naming his birth village in Wales that didn't exist. I had fun once trying to track it down but all the locals just shrugged and said join the queue. Eventually someone biographed him and we all discovered that he was illegitimate; born to a woman who may have been called Jones in Liverpool and immediately given away to a orphanage.

he sailed some nice boats and may have benefited from car cameras on his boats! murgs dance

well personally I think he insulted the Welsh by his claims
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Car Cameras   Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:54 pm

davo wrote:there was a sailor once called Tristan Jones who wrote some interesting 'boys only adventure' sailing books and always claimed he was Welsh. He invented a welsh life for himself giving directions and naming his birth village in Wales that didn't exist. I had fun once trying to track it down but all the locals just shrugged and said join the queue. Eventually someone biographed him and we all discovered that he was illegitimate; born to a woman who may have been called Jones in Liverpool and immediately given away to a orphanage.
he sailed some nice boats and may have benefited from car cameras on his boats!

A man in Liverpool once tripped up over a dead dog lying in the pavement. He didn't have a camera with which to photograph a dog. So he photographed a cat instead.
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Car Cameras   Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:27 pm

ah cats eyes heh??
Back to top Go down
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Car Cameras   Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:31 pm

davo wrote:
Goldie wrote:
davo wrote:

well personally I think he insulted the Welsh by his claims
Nah Davo I think most Welsh  would find it funny. Another Walter Mitty  smile 

He needed a cwtch.  Welsh for a hug
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Car Cameras   Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:02 pm

davo wrote:
ah cats eyes heh??

Are you referring to those reflective things that are sunk into the centre of the road?
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Car Cameras   Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:23 am

did you ever see the doco of the man who invented them - lived as a recluse with tvs on in every room and boxes of cats eyes looking at him all the time - he purred a lot!
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Car Cameras   Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:29 am

Well here's a turn up. When I left school in 1949 I got a job as an assistant to a dyer who ran a dye works on the west side of Halifax. The deal was that I would continue my education on the "dye stuffs and fibres" front and, when the chap who I was to assist retired, I would take over his job.
We lived miles to the east of Halfax and in order to get to the dyeworks I had to catch the first bus out of Bradford on the Halifax route. The bus route passed the factory where the "cats eyes" were born  and bred..

My usual seat was next to an old gent who was an engineer. He was one of the type that actually do things with their hands instead of the sort who keep their hands clean by drawing plans. One morning as we passed the "cats eye foundry" He sighed and said,  " You know.... I was a right fool." and then went on to tell me that he  had been one of the inventors mates, and had been since childhood, as had one or two others.

When the inventor wanted to take out a patent on his cats eyes he needed money, for various solicitors fees etc. and so had asked his mates for support. Apparently my travelling companion was, for domestic reasons (I think it was a new born child)  unable to join in.  He was extremely sad about it as you can understand. All his chums were wealthy  directors and he was still going to work at the crack of dawn.

He told of how wealthy the inventor had become over the years and of his drink parties and how "well off" were his mates who lent him money all those years before.

I like the joke of Ken Dodd's about cats eyes. He wondered what the man would have made had he seen the back end of the cat in his headlight beam
Back to top Go down
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Car Cameras   Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm

catgate wrote:
Well here's a turn up. When I left school in 1949 I got a job as an assistant to a dyer who ran a dye works on the west side of Halifax. The deal was that I would continue my education on the "dye stuffs and fibres" front and, when the chap who I was to assist retired, I would take over his job.
We lived miles to the east of Halfax and in order to get to the dyeworks I had to catch the first bus out of Bradford on the Halifax route. The bus route passed the factory where the "cats eyes" were born  and bred..

My usual seat was next to an old gent who was an engineer. He was one of the type that actually do things with their hands instead of the sort who keep their hands clean by drawing plans. One morning as we passed the "cats eye foundry" He sighed and said,  " You know.... I was a right fool." and then went on to tell me that he  had been one of the inventors mates, and had been since childhood, as had one or two others.

When the inventor wanted to take out a patent on his cats eyes he needed money, for various solicitors fees etc. and so had asked his mates for support. Apparently my travelling companion was, for domestic reasons (I think it was a new born child)  unable to join in.  He was extremely sad about it as you can understand. All his chums were wealthy  directors and he was still going to work at the crack of dawn.

He told of how wealthy the inventor had become over the years and of his drink parties and how "well off" were his mates who lent him money all those years before.

I like the joke of Ken Dodd's about cats eyes. He wondered what the man would have made had he seen the back end of the cat in his headlight beam
Wow! What an interesting read catgate. I enjoyed that. Sad tale as well
Back to top Go down

Car Cameras
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4