Share | 

Restoration Man

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Restoration Man   Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:06 am

I think there is a word missing in the title between restoration and man - the word is mad!

mem'saab and I watch this program for different reasons of course she is a women after all. she watches because she believes that I should be able to do everything that restoration man can do [ don't you think the title is rather chauvinistic?]

I watch it just to have a good laugh and explain to my aussie wife the unbelievable madness of the British; Scots; Welsh and Irish - show them a poor dilapidated ancient building and they want to buy it and restore it even if it leaves them penniless and even madder!

I have just finished watching a loving couple [welsh] who set about restoring an old school builder with adjoining headmasters house etc etc. it left them broke of course and the man had to sell his beloved boat and everything to finish. I must admit it did look nice on completion but 99% of all participants have said "never again"

I would personally change the title to restoration madness!
Back to top Go down
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Restoration Man   Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:12 am

Management sometimes watches it - but I have only ever seen one programme.  However - if I were half my age, I would be tempted.

I guess we each spend our money as we see fit. 

Some might think you mad living in the bus with such terrible weather - but it was your choice and I'm sure you enjoy it

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Restoration Man   Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:00 pm

i beg your pardon who the ***** said I was living in a bus??? cool
Back to top Go down
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Restoration Man   Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:33 am

Years ago I did fancy doing a restoration project but had limited funds and realised money would soon run out.

I would feel obligated to stay there once completed and may be you wouldn't want to.

It's a great programme but you definitely have to be a certain type of person and may be slightly mad  smile
Back to top Go down
Gandalph
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Restoration Man   Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Some of the Restorations I have seen going on I couldn't call mad. Totally Bonkers comes to mind.

Save a tree, eat a Beaver.

Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe".

Machine Specs:  iMac 27 with 5K Retina Display | Intel Core i7 with boost up to 4.2 GHz | 32 GB 1867 DDR3 SDRAM | 3 TB Fusion Drive | AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB Video Memory |macOS Sierra 10.12.6| Apple iPad 4 16 MB iOS 10.3.3 | 16 GB Apple iPhone 4S iOS 9.3.5 |Apple 4th Generation TV with 64 GBytes.

Laptop: Novatech 15.4" | AMD Athlon 64 1.6 Ghz | 250 Gb Hard drive | 4 Gb DDR2 Ram | Windows 10 Pro 
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Restoration Man   Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:56 am

Ive never had a total bonk gandalph - have you?? whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Restoration Man   Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:40 am

Some of the houses I've bought during my life were in a right old mess ..especially the one we're in now. The work done might be thought of as restoration ..or extreme DIY at least. Walls knocked down, a partition wall built, a small extension built on the front, a new driveway and lots of other work. Got some photos of before, during and after somewhere.
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Restoration Man   Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 am

Mart wrote:
Some of the houses I've bought during my life were in a right old mess ..especially the one we're in now. The work done might be thought of as restoration ..or extreme DIY at least. Walls knocked down, a partition wall built, a small extension built on the front, a new driveway and lots of other work. Got some photos of before, during and after somewhere.
they would be good to see Mart - roll them out!
Back to top Go down
Gandalph
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Restoration Man   Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:56 pm

davo wrote:
Ive never had a total bonk gandalph - have you?? whistle

Many davo! drum

Save a tree, eat a Beaver.

Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe".

Machine Specs:  iMac 27 with 5K Retina Display | Intel Core i7 with boost up to 4.2 GHz | 32 GB 1867 DDR3 SDRAM | 3 TB Fusion Drive | AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB Video Memory |macOS Sierra 10.12.6| Apple iPad 4 16 MB iOS 10.3.3 | 16 GB Apple iPhone 4S iOS 9.3.5 |Apple 4th Generation TV with 64 GBytes.

Laptop: Novatech 15.4" | AMD Athlon 64 1.6 Ghz | 250 Gb Hard drive | 4 Gb DDR2 Ram | Windows 10 Pro 
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Restoration Man   Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:02 pm

After we'd got the place tidied up and decorated (took a few years because it was bad), we lived in it as it was for a number of years. The bungalow had a small kitchen and a fairly large lounge-diner. The small kitchen became a real nuisance once Mrs Mart was in a wheelchair full time. The two of us in there trying to get meals was a struggle.

We decided to make the lounge-diner into a small lounge and make the dining room end of the room part of the kitchen. It meant taking out a brick wall and building a partition wall with double doors in it. The brick wall was not a supporting one fortunately and this made the work easier. The job was finished a few years ago now and the layout is loads better for us. Some photos. It might be a bit of a job to see what wall went and what wall was built.

The lounge-diner to start with:

The wall is gone:

Me building the partition wall:

It's built:

...and I've put the doors on:

The new kitchen has gone in (I didn't fit it myself). Still no cooker but getting somewhere near the end of things:

Job done. The new smaller lounge and doors through to the kitchen-diner:

Looking toward the kitchen end of the new kitchen-diner ..but we had to have a new dining table and chairs of course.

I had help with some parts. The wall was knocked down with the help and guidance of a builder friend. He also did all of the plastering. The rest was done by yours truly though. It looks a clean job but it can be imagined how much dust and dirt spread throughout the place during the weeks it took to do. All worth it in the end though.
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Restoration Man   Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 pm

looks great mart you should have got restoration man to come in and have a look!
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Restoration Man   Yesterday at 12:11 pm

just watched probably the best RM - the guy and his wife and family who restored a complete water mill in Northumberland - if I had the money I'd buy it off of him but he probably would never sell!!
Back to top Go down

Restoration Man
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1