Share | 

Prawns and green beans with belachan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:00 am

a lovely fiery dish anytime of the day ! - boil up some rice - that's the easy part!

200g of beans - cut into 3cm lengths about as long as ya big toe!
10 medium size prawns - shelled and deveined
3tbs oil; 5 tbs of water; 1 tsp of sugar and salt

making the belachan paste

blend together in a mortar and pestle

6 shallots - peeled of course - stating the bleedin obvious!
2 tbs of dried prawns soaked briefly in water - makes em swell!
3 tbs chillie paste - wow! - between 1-3 depending on your palate!
4 cloves of garlic - harmless
half a tab off roasted belachan

1.heat oil in pan add belachan paste and stir until fragant - did you turn the heat on?

2.add beans, prawns and stir fry - couldn't find a packet of stir fry so just stirred!
oh for 2 mins - add sugar and salt to taste

3. add 5 tbs of water and stir fry for 4 mins

4. serve with hot steaming rice

hint [ asparagus; eggplantor okra can be used in place of beans! or you could mix them all in - in appropriate proportions - do what ya want

but every yummy and spicy depending on how much chillie went in.

NB - a messy dish tp prepare but the result is just heavenly! drink

Back to top Go down
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:16 am

Anyone as ignorant as me will wonder what belachan paste is.  So I called on the Google oracle

WHAT IS BELACHAN?
Its aroma is not unlike Marmite but it's far removed from being from a yeast extract. Belachan is actually made from dried and fermented shrimp mixed with salt. And it supplies the delicious backbone flavour to sambals, sauces, soups and many other dishes from South East Asia and southern China.

It sounds delicious - dead rotting shrimp and salt ground into a paste and smelling as revolting as Marmite - mmmm yummy eat2

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:04 pm

if you like belachan paste [ we call it stinky prawn paste] you crave for it and will die for it - NO it won't kill you but does raise the pallet! My first introduction to the "'orrible stuff" was in Macao back in the late 70's.  we were sitting having a beer in an outside beer garden when this very unusual smell came wafting over - I inquired of my Chinese host what it was and he retorted - " oh it's the stinky prawn paste manufacturing factory for Macao; Hong Kong and beyond - been consuming it ever since. Nice with chinese watercress - yum yum!
Back to top Go down
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:37 pm

I am happy to take your word for it.

However - we have a big Chinese supermarket in Birmingham which sells food and spices from the Far East. I just may have a sniff around there when I get back from Portugal.

I have been looking for Xmas presents for people I don't like.......... hat

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Gandalph
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:23 pm

I'm sticking with Cornflakes ta very much.

Save a tree, eat a Beaver.

Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe".

Machine Specs:  iMac 27 with 5K Retina Display | Intel Core i7 with boost up to 4.2 GHz | 32 GB 1867 DDR3 SDRAM | 3 TB Fusion Drive | AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB Video Memory |macOS Sierra 10.12.6| Apple iPad 4 16 MB iOS 10.3.3 | 16 GB Apple iPhone 4S iOS 9.3.5 |Apple 4th Generation TV with 64 GBytes.

Laptop: Novatech 15.4" | AMD Athlon 64 1.6 Ghz | 250 Gb Hard drive | 4 Gb DDR2 Ram | Windows 10 Pro 
Back to top Go down
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:49 pm

I bet Davo sprinkles his corn flakes with it..

Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:25 pm

no junked cornflakes and all things English breakfast years ago - apart from the odd egg and bacon occasionally and just heard that frying eggs damages their nutritional value - should only be scrambled or boiled. but having lived asian for a few years and now have an asian DIL - all my favorite breakfasts are asian with any range of noodles - belachan is a delicate and also fiery little morsel so should be selected for appropriate dishes not just dumped on anything and certainly not cornflakes FGS morn

another very delicate dish I was introduced to in Thailand were my DIL is from was fragrant rice [cooked of course] and delicately placed in a bowl of ice - amazingly refreshing - I was watching that famous English chef [wats is name?]  travelling through the mediterranian  and he was in Greece - we have so much to learn from the dishes of our neighbours dont you think - I mean who would have thought that fish and curry would be the most popular take away in UK these days. I'm also watching those two Indian chefs who I believe live in UK and travel around cooking - everything spicy. I am mildly interested in cooking!
Back to top Go down
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:37 am

You can get belachan in the UK from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeenys-Shrimp-Paste-Belachan-250G/dp/B00AYY6UVU/ref=sr_1_13_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1481790743&sr=8-13&keywords=shrimp+paste
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:25 am

-pops- wrote:
You can get belachan in the UK from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeenys-Shrimp-Paste-Belachan-250G/dp/B00AYY6UVU/ref=sr_1_13_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1481790743&sr=8-13&keywords=shrimp+paste

i'm sure you will find it in the asian supermarkets - but it is an acquired taste and needs persevering with!! - once hooked - ya hooked for life!
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:58 am

You can get shrimp paste at any Asian supermarket.
I tried it once and was disappointed with the intense fishy taste....never again !
Back to top Go down
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm thinking that balachan is different to ordinary(?) shrimp paste This stuff comes as a block in a packet. The other is sold as a paste in jars.

On the subject of smelly fish products, do you like Patum Peperium? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman's_Relish which is said to resemble the Roman seaoning agent garum which was made from fermented fish guts.

I particularly like it for an olde worlde English tea which we have occasionally - cucumber sandwiches, Patum Peperium, scones with strawberry jam and cream and lots of hot tea. Daft, I know but we enjoy it.

As an alternative to Patum Peperium we sometimes use anchovy paste which comes in tubes. Not quite as good but much, much cheaper.
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Prawns and green beans with belachan   Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:11 pm

-pops- wrote:
I'm thinking that balachan is different to ordinary(?) shrimp paste This stuff comes as a block in a packet. The other is sold as a paste in jars.

On the subject of smelly fish products, do you like Patum Peperium? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman's_Relish which is said to resemble the Roman seaoning agent garum which was made from fermented fish guts.

I particularly like it for an olde worlde English tea which we have occasionally - cucumber sandwiches, Patum Peperium, scones with strawberry jam and cream and lots of hot tea. Daft, I know but we enjoy it.

As an alternative to Patum Peperium we sometimes use anchovy paste which comes in tubes. Not quite as good but much, much cheaper.

yes do partake of it in small expensive jars and also like the whole ones jars of oil and brine - whilst residing in HK an old friend introduced me to a local chinese delicacy - very very very salty dried fish - I found it charming but they warned me that eating too much regularly can lead to throat cancer - quite common in the addicts!

I buy the belachan in blocks and have never seen it in paste form which would be easier for me to use!

I've been eating 'real' asian food now for 20 yrs - I don't have an english palate anymore - whatever that is - mind you chips and curry sounds OK! cheers
Back to top Go down

Prawns and green beans with belachan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1