Share | 

English as she is spoke and spelt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: English as she is spoke and spelt   Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:08 am

The Americans and Canadians speak english and spell it different - doesn't seem to affect our trade arrangements or espionage relationships?

the aussies and kiwis speak it different - even the english speak it different in scotland, wales, and Ireland - and then we have all the regional dialects of UK - all spelling it and speaking it differently. and then if you listen to the english spoken by the working class young people [even though they may not be working]  well I wont even go there!!- you can't hang on to it - let it go otherwise you will become a language albatross.

www websites need to reflect those who chose to join even with their language differences unless you just want a BBC website as she is spoken?

now can we get on with having some fun and dialogue instead of nit picking ?
Back to top Go down
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: English as she is spoke and spelt   Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:37 am

I did state at the outset that my comment on the spelling of "ocassional" was a picky point - it was you, davo, that turned it into the acrimonious debate it has now become.

You write about accents and dialects - fine but the thing I commented about was neither accent nor dialect - it was a wrong spelling, wrong in any and all languages and dialects.

My native language is that of D H Lawrence (broad East Midland/Derbyshire). I would never inflict it on to a non-native of that area as it would cause huge difficulties in interpretation with a considerable number of words without any direct translation eg. alley, gerraht, miduck.

In my view it is important to try and maintain a reasonable standard of English in discussions so that the worldwide membership of this, and other forums, is able to understand what is being discussed without having to resort to dictionaries (physical ones or Google). This does not mean BBC English by any means, just contributions written in a reasonable, generally perceived linguistic manner. Of course this doesn't apply to poetry or direct quotations.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: English as she is spoke and spelt   Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:47 am

I personally believe spelling to be very important in communication.
Without rules for grammar, punctuation and spelling all you will have is anarchy with everyone speaking the same language but only able to communicate verbally.
Imagine if there were no rules for time and everyone were able to use their own time-frame just as it suited them and adjusted their own time pieces accordingly, an impossible situation would soon arise.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: English as she is spoke and spelt   Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:15 am

I only became a good speller when computers had spell chequers

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: English as she is spoke and spelt   Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:47 pm

I am locking this topic, I wish to keep the forum on a friendly basis for everyone.
Back to top Go down

English as she is spoke and spelt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1