HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

To Prevent Hardboiled Eggs Turning Grey/Green

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
-pops-

PostSubject: To Prevent Hardboiled Eggs Turning Grey/Green   Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:00 am

Use eggs that are a few days old.

Start with your eggs at room temperature. This has nothing to do with the sybject of this, just that it helps prevent thermal shock on the shell and having it crack (and leak).

Place the eggs in warm water and bring to the boil. Boil for eight minutes.

Now comes the crucial part.

Have ready a bowl containing plenty of cold water.

Pour the boiling water from the eggs. Shake the pan to crack the shells and drop them into the cold water. It is important to cool the eggs quickly so don't shortcut by leaving the eggs in the same pan and pouring the cold water into that - the residual heat in the pan itself might prevent sufficient shock cooling.

Allow to get quite cold before peeling and using.

Don't overcook. 8 minutes is enough to hardboil any hen's egg. Much more than that encourages discoloration and can make the egg tough and have a granular yolk.

(I posted this under What's on your Menu Today? but I thought it would get lost in there hence its own topic)
Back to top Go down
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: To Prevent Hardboiled Eggs Turning Grey/Green   Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:27 am

I have an egg pricker which pierces the shell at the "blunt" end of the egg into the air sac that lies there. It is the expansion of this air sac within the constraints of the shell that is mainly responsible for the shell to crack.

The piercing lets the air bubble out harmlessly.

You can of course use a pin or needle to do the job if you have the dexterity

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: To Prevent Hardboiled Eggs Turning Grey/Green   Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:15 pm

It would appear pops that there is only you and I that eat boiled eggs

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: To Prevent Hardboiled Eggs Turning Grey/Green   Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:42 pm

I give mine to my next door neighbor who sticks them up  his pigs [present pigs excluded]!
Back to top Go down

To Prevent Hardboiled Eggs Turning Grey/Green
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1