HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Forum History

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AlanHo

PostSubject: Forum History   Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Is there a potted history of the forum anywhere. I am curious how it got started, how the early members found it and each other and what was its inspiration.

It's possibly all known to the members who joined long ago - but to us new members it is shrouded in mystery.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Forum History   Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:58 am

Yes you do look like a mystery in a shroud sometimes! drum
Back to top Go down
sags

PostSubject: Re: Forum History   Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Ah .. this will be one for our revered leader Malcolm to answer.
All I know is he told me he'd started a forum and I scampered here pretty damn quick and he hasn't been able to dislodge me ever since.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forum History   Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:35 pm

I shall have to give it a bit of thought sags....it's such a long time ago.
If you can remember better than I can then please do so, you and I were founding members after all.  yes
Back to top Go down
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Forum History   Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:44 pm

So the forum started by your good selves.  I only heard about it a long time ago during another heated thread debate elsewhere. I assumed you had abandoned it.

I never know the politics of forums really and who, what,  where came from another forum.  To this day I do not know what that other forum is or was.

It's a nice forum and nice members  flower
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Forum History   Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:27 pm

AlanHo wrote:
Is there a potted history of the forum anywhere. I am curious how it got started, how the early members found it and each other and what was its inspiration.

It's possibly all known to the members who joined long ago - but to us new members it is shrouded in mystery.

I was always under the impression the Romans started forums. They probably caller them "Foureyes".
I'm just grateful we do not have to come on line wearing a  holly wreath around our heads and wearing nothing else except a bed sheet.

The mention of Romans and clothing pushed me back into late '40s and the teacher who was our senior English teacher ( you know the ones that make yer rite and tork proper). He was about 6 ft. tall with a head that was quite bald at the top, but with a halo of grey fluff running round from just above the top of one ear to the other. He would stand at the front of the class waffling away, with his right hand under his gown and stuck down the rear of his trousers, wriggling away at something. We all assumed it was piles ( he did not teach us how to spell heaeamerioids ).
Back to top Go down
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Forum History   Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:55 pm

Are piles I might have a very funny story for you at a later date.

We had a head teacher, Miss Singer wore the really thick silky stockings and flat shoes, pearl necklace,, cardigan very tall and frightened the living day lights out of me. She used to make us recite our times tables but woukd stop at your desk, smash her ruler down and ask you to answer a completely different table from the one we were doing.

I would shake in my seat and got petrified to go to school. Used to faint, the works. To cut a long story short as you know me. Mum had to go have a word as she had banned me as captain of the rounders team due to me having tonsillitis. I begged mum not to go.

Hence I never had trouble again.

I saw her years later and she said to me Goldie ....... is that you. I always thought you were our brightest  pupil.

She looked an old withered women and thought, why was I so scared of her. I had a mental block when it came to maths but I flourished when I went to high school.

Years later a Maths teacher threw  a book at my head as I told a boy now a friend to stop laughing at a girl who stammered. I said to him I just wish one day that happened to you. Hence the book. we met years later in the doctors and he said he had a great crush on me after that. I never knew.

I have a naturally mother hen approach.

I think teaching should equip us for the real world 

I just thought of a Pink Floyd song but leave you all to suss that one  drum
Back to top Go down

Forum History
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1